For the longest time I have wanted to make a bedside table, because at the moment I have been using my yoga mat as a place to for my phone to sit at night while it charges. On the day that I decided to begin working on the design for my bedside table, the artist Tom Sachs released his “Shop Chair” for sale for $2000 on his website. I have been a massive fan of his work and process for a very long time and took his chair as an inspiration and jumping off point.
I replicated the design of the chair’s legs as best as I could in Vectorworks, as I also am hoping to make the chair myself soon. From that design I reformatted it to fit the dimensions that I have available to me as a bedside table - 24 H x (15x15) W.
Gallery of Test Cutting
The first goal I wanted to cross was to cut tests of the legs that would friction fit together without the need for glue, and I would work out the table top portion later on. I had some leftover wood from The Box that I could use for tests, as I wasn’t the nicest ply and was a bit rough, but it was just about the same material thickness overall with the polished birch ply I got from Home Depot.
There was a good bit of working through the kinks of the new spoil-board bowing, as well as my wood not being the most flat after sitting in the shop for 3+ months. I wasn’t cutting through deep enough on my test cuts, and at a point I paused the job and there was a cutout of power from something else in the shop and my job lost all zeros. Thankfully I had written down the distance of my drawing from the page center in Vectorworks, so I found the first circle that was cutout, and drew a line from the Bottom Center point of it to the page center. It was at a 30 degree angle and about 5” from the page center, so I grabbed a compass and ruler and and marked that in my material to be my zero. I was just off by 1/8 of an inch to the right.
Once I completed the cutting and joining of the test I went about designing the tabletop portion of the bedside stand. I found this bedside table on etsy that I liked its use of a hexagonal shape.
The cutting of the final piece went without any issues. The pre-polished, cleaner plywood I got from Home-Depot was the same width as the test material I had somehow, and the designs didn’t need to change too much, outside of the arm I designed for the tabletop to sit on.
Even though I used all of the screws I had available to mount my wood down, the second piece of wood had about 1/32” of material left so it needed a little TLC. I sanded all the sides just a bit and the snuggly fit together like a breeze. I first used the mallet to get the legs together, but then moved to a trigger clamp to close it up.
I got the top on but felt that I would snap the arms if I didn’t give them any support. I turned the piece over, placing the tabletop portion on a table. I took one of the Jorgenson clamps and one of the leftover circles to finish the clamping. So extremely satisfying watch that last gaps of air disappear.
Overall I am extremely pleased with this piece. Danny Rozin gave me some great comments about the design of the arms and I plan on redesigning it down the line.