After finishing the labs I remembered that I had found an ultrasonic distance sensor on the junk shelf in the beginning of the semester, and wanted to use it for this project. I had already used one before in my Video Sculpture class over the summer, although I didn’t code it whatsoever, I worked on the concept, design, and fabrication. After looking again at the code for that project, I probably could have reinterpreted it to make the LEDs for this week breath like the original piece.
I looked over the schematic for the sensor, wrote it out and felt pretty confident with understanding its readings to the serial monitor, so I decided to constrain certain distances to activate different LEDs. The red was from 2-13cm, green 12-23cm, and blue 23-33cm.
My observation was of an installation in on of the windows of Tisch, on Waverly. It’s set up by ITP students and is intended to be a Rube Goldberg machine, but as the video shows, the interaction is missing an important factor.
I also found a Neo Pixel Ring in the junk shelf, and wanted to practice my soldering skills as well as see if it even works. Tonight I put it together with a neo pixel strip I had, and wanted to see if I could add it all together on one sketch.