When given the assignment for making flashlight, the first thing to come to my mind was to take a used roll of film and put a couple LEDs inside of it.
I googled “film roll flashlight” and found this Instructable, which although is meant for the plastic a roll of film comes inside, I figured it would work fine for an actual roll as well. Working off of the parts here, I went to Shaprio Hardware and bought a 3V 2032 coin battery.
I didn’t have any of my own used film canister’s at home as I now just develop my black and white film at Gowanus Darkroom and haven’t been there to develop in a couple months now. I decided that I would go up to the 8th floor to see if i could scrounge through the trash in their darkroom.
Monday morning I wandered upstairs and the person in their equipment room happily let me dive right into the garbage. I found two rolls that weren’t totally mangled.
Wednesday afternoon was spent in the shop putting the flashlight together. A classmate gave me a pair of Super Bright LEDs and I grabbed a switch from the shop’s free stuff.
The hole for the switch came out to be around 15/32 in. I realized that there wasn’t too much room in the canister and that it would be a tight fit for everything in there.
I found a bending LED reading light in the shop in the beginning of the semester assuming I would use the arm for some project, and actually considered using it for the flashlight. I then realized that that the housing for the LED’s of the arm would work perfectly to put the Super Bright LED’s
While testing everything I didn’t truly consider the amount of power the LED’s would take. The Blue Super Bright’s have a forward voltage of 3V’s, and with the two of them running on for basically two hours totally drained the battery. The soldering and battery connection situation was frustrating me and I basically gave up on my original plan and connected the LED’s directly to a 9Volt.